After every use, clean the EleGARD™ and let it dry before returning it to the Carrying Case.
Do not immerse.
Caution: Cleaning Fluids
Do not allow water or cleaning fluids to enter the EleGARD. Use cleaning liquids on a dampened cleaning cloth. Avoid liquid pooling on the EleGARD.
Caution: Abrasive Cleaners
Abrasive powders, steel wool, industrial strength or solvent cleaners, and vinyl “conditioners” or “protectors” and isopropyl alcohol (IPA) solutions greater than 40% concentration should be avoided. Undiluted bleach, IPA, or lacquer thinner can dull or damage the product. If in doubt about a detergent or cleaner, test a patch in an inconspicuous place before applying in a larger place.
Cleaning the EleGARD
1. Raise the EleGARD to the fully raised position to clean.
2. Remove LUCAS backplate from EleGARD by pulling the back plate release knob (see Figure 1) and lift the top of the back board to rotate and remove it. After completion of
the cleaning procedure, replace in the reverse order of removal, placing the bottom in the lower catch, rotating the top into place, and then pressing firmly on the top to reengage the latching mechanism. Check to ensure it is aligned and secure by lifting the back plate.
3. Remove the foam Neck and Shoulder Stabilizer Cushion for cleaning. To remove the Neck and Shoulder Stabilizer Cushion, pull upward on the foam piece on each side to detach it from its snapping mechanism. To replace the cushion assembly, center it on the EleGARD and snap it into place with a forceful downward motion on each side of the foam piece.
4. Manually pull the gray headrest handle to extend the slide as needed to flatten the cover on a smooth surface as needed for cleaning.
5. Clean all surfaces with a soft cloth and/or soft brush and disinfectant. NOTE: It is important to clean the EleGARD per the instructions for use of the disinfectants listed below.
Recommended disinfectants include:
- Cavicide or Cavi-Wipes
- PDI Sani-Cloth AF3 Germicidal Disposable Wipes
6. Clean all surfaces with a soft cloth and/or soft brush dampened with warm water with a mild cleaning agent or liquid soap.
Recommended cleaners include:
- Formula 409 All-Purpose spray cleaner
- Fantastik spray cleaner
- Hand dishwashing soap and water
7. After cleaning, rinse all surfaces with a soft cloth dampened with water and then dry with a clean, lint-free cloth.
8. Lower the EleGARD to its lowest position before returning to carrying case, after completing the cleaning procedure.
Caution: Chemical Residue
Failure to remove chemical residue may cause discoloration of the coated fabric surface to occur earlier in the life cycle of the product. Always clean after disinfecting.
Cleaning the LUCAS Backplate
To clean the LUCAS Backplate, please follow the cleaning instructions in the LUCAS User Manual, summarized below. Please refer to the LUCAS User Manual for additional questions.
Clean all surfaces and straps with a soft cloth and warm water with a mild cleaning
agent or disinfectant agent, e.g.,
- 70% isopropyl alcohol solution
- 45% isopropyl alcohol with added detergent
- Quaternary ammonium compound
- 10% bleach
- Peracetic (peroxide) acid solutions
Follow the handling instructions from the manufacturer of the disinfectant.
Replace LUCAS backplate after completing the cleaning procedure.
Do not immerse the LUCAS System in liquid. The device can be damaged. Allow the device to dry before you pack it.
Remove and Recharge the Battery
- Replace the Battery with a fully charged Battery.
- Recharge the Battery for future use. Refer to Section 5 for Battery charging instructions.